Individuals volunteer at the Inn as a way to give back and connect to the community. Volunteers are essential for the Friendship Inn to assist those in need of help. Volunteers serve at the Friendship Inn every day of the year. Our individual volunteers include students, retirees, business people and even some of our guests who eat at the Inn.
Volunteers work for any amount of time between 7am and 3 pm, 7 days each week. Jobs include food preparation, serving meals, cleaning and other jobs as needed. After completing the application process (including criminal record check), volunteers choose their own schedule. For some that means helping with breakfast preparation and serving from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m., then continuing on with their day. Others come for the lunch rush from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. A few spend an entire day at the Inn. Scheduling volunteer time is flexible. Some individuals choose to come the same day every week, while others volunteer once a month. They are also welcome to drop in whenever it works for them.
If you are interested in volunteering on an ongoing basis at the Friendship Inn, please fill out an application.
Please note, first time adult (18+) volunteers are required to get a criminal record check before volunteering. It’s a simple but important process, and the Volunteer Coordinator will give you a paper that lets you get it for free.
Volunteer Application Process
- Contact Information page – please fill out the sheet with contact information questions.
- Signed documents – please read and sign the back page about confidentiality and removal of goods
- Criminal Record Check – for adults 18 and over, we require a current (within the last 6 months) Criminal Record Check from your local police department. To get your Criminal Record Check for free from the Saskatoon Police Services, drop by the Friendship Inn to pick up a signed request letter. Letters must be an original letter signed in ink by the Volunteer Coordinator. You can request a letter from the Volunteer Coordinator (Monday-Friday 8am-2pm) or call 306-242-5122 to make arrangements to pick one up on the weekend.
- Parental Consent Form – for anyone under the age of 18, we require a signed Parental Consent Form if you are volunteering without a parent or legal guardian.
- Volunteer Handbook – read through our handbook
Drop off your completed application (with Criminal Record Check) at the Friendship Inn with the Volunteer Coordinator and then chat with the Coordinator about your first shift.
If you have questions, use the contact form on the right to connect with the Volunteer Coordinator.