Many of us rarely give a second thought to the source of our next meal. To people living in poverty, a lack of proper nutrition gnaws away at every aspect of their daily lives while causing high levels of illness and stress. With the support of generous donors, the Friendship Inn empowers youth and adults to bridge the gap between cheques and better manage other day-to-day challenges.
Donors help the Inn to provide up to 1000 meals each day, free of charge, to those in need. The Friendship Inn is a community initiative that is supported completely by the generous donations of the Saskatoon and area community. The donation of funds and food from businesses, individuals and community groups are what sustain the work that happens at the Inn.
In addition to the satisfaction of helping others, donors receive a tax receipt from the Friendship Inn (CRA charity # 119140937RR0001).
Anyone wishing to donate to the Friendship Inn can:
- Donate online
- Send a cheque, payable to Saskatoon Friendship Inn, to 619 20th St. W. Saskatoon, SK S7M 0X8
- Drop by the Friendship Inn (8am-2pm) and deliver a cheque, cash or to make a Visa/ MasterCard donation.
- Telephone the Office Manager and donate by Visa or MasterCard: 306-242–5122 option #2
- Donate monthly through your bank account, credit card or online. Contact the Office Manager to arrange for monthly giving.
- All monetary donations over $10 will be issued a charitable tax receipt for donations made to the Saskatoon Friendship Inn. The receipt will be issued to the name on the cheque or credit card.
Saskatoon Friendship Inn graciously accepts food donations on a daily basis from 7:00 am – 2:30 pm. Donations can be dropped off at the southwest door in the parking lot. Please provide the Friendship Inn with a receipt for food if you wish to receive a charitable tax receipt for your donation.
- We accept any fresh home-grown fruits and vegetables, but cannot be receipted. (For example: fresh from the garden potatoes, carrots, peas, beans etc.)
- We accept any unopened groceries from your home that you no longer use, but cannot be receipted. (For example macaroni, rice, sugar, coffee etc.)
Gift In Kind Donations
Gifts in Kind are food donations made to the Saskatoon Friendship Inn that are not monetary in nature. For example, if buying groceries for the Inn, bring your cash register receipt to the Office Manager to receive a Charitable Tax Receipt for the full amount of your purchase.
The problem with hunger is that it isn’t going away … there are many ways to leave a legacy of love of your community. Legacy giving has benefits to you beyond feeling good about your act of caring and kindness, there are tax benefits to you and to your estate. We recommend that you always discuss your estate planning with your family, lawyer and financial planner.
You can leave a legacy to the Inn by leaving:
- A bequest in your will
- A gift of RRSPs or RRIFs
- A gift of insurance policies
Sponsored Meal Donations
The Saskatoon Friendship Inn serves approximately 700 – 1000 meals per day, 365 days per year. The Sponsored Meal program provides an opportunity for individuals, families, businesses, service clubs or any other group to purchase a meal for the Inn at a cost of $750 (or more).
The kitchen staff will prepare a breakfast or lunch and the donor(s) are invited to come in and assist with serving the meal they have purchased. You are also welcome to come and volunteer on the day of your meal sponsorship. It can be a very fun and rewarding experience.
To Sponsor a Meal contact the Operations / Program Manager at 306-242-5122, ext. 5.
A Day at the Inn Donations
$5,000 covers the cost of running the Friendship Inn for one full day.
As a Day Sponsor you have an opportunity to cover the full expenses of running the Friendship Inn for one full day. Signs will ensure that the neighborhood is fully aware of your generous sponsorship.
It is our hope that the greater Saskatoon area will embrace this initiative in one of several ways:
- Individuals: Anyone can sponsor A Day at the Inn and receive a $5,000 charitable tax donation receipt for income tax purposes.
- Companies: Companies can make a donation of $5,000 and have their signage with logo and company information highlighted for everyone to recognize the donor of the day.
A Week at the Inn Donations
$35,000 covers the cost of running the Friendship Inn for one full week.
Anyone can donate a full week at the Inn for $35,000. A week at the Inn donation will give media coverage here at the Friendship Inn and ensure that the donation is highlighted in our written material, newsletter and web site.
Emergency Supply Donations
The Saskatoon Friendship Inn employs a full time Family Worker, sponsored by the Ministry of Social Services. This office services hundreds of individuals and families each year as a resource to assist with emergency issues such as family violence, child protection, and referrals. Often families will come to the Friendship Inn in need of emergency supplies that are handed out when available.
During the winter months we are also collecting warm clothing such as winter coats, mitts, toques and scarves. Men’s jackets and mitts or gloves are the most needed items.
We are always looking for donations of:
- Diapers (especially large sizes)
- Baby formula, milk, baby cereal and other baby supplies
- Shampoo and conditioners
- Disposable razors
- Feminine hygiene products
- Adult socks
CWL Clothing Depot
The Friendship Inn does not accept donations of clothing or household items. We do partner with the CWL Clothing Depot who shares our building. Their drop off location is the back door off the alley, ring the bell for assistance. Their drop off hours are 8:30am-3:00pm. For more information about the CWL Clothing Depot call 306-242-5042.